What we do
There is a global shortage of expertise in this field. Traditional hotel companies struggle to integrate wellness services into their corporate hospitality models. Medical providers are also at a loss as to how to integrate clinical with holistic modalities and deliver a seamless product that meets the savvy wellness guests’ needs for personalised, integrated services.
And that’s where we come in. DSM works with owners and developers to develop, set up and manage wellness properties. We are an expert destination spa/health resorts management team adept at creating cutting-edge, compelling wellness businesses that meet the needs of today’s refined wellness seeker.
WELLNESS HOTELS & RESORTS
MINERAL SPRING FACILITIES
This initial phase maps out all aspects of the wellness property or development in draft form. The aim is to provide an outline business model – including financials – for client/owner approval. This crucial step ensures all parties understand and agree with the concept and business model before committing to the investment of time and money in the pre-opening phase.
This methodology provides for the smooth development of the project and reduces the risk of unnecessary – and costly – re-work. Our ‘Concept Study’ typically includes a comprehensive eight-step market study to assess the viability of the proposed wellness property; its location, offerings, USPs and brand positioning.
- SWOT analysis
- Market study
- Branding options
- Menu of services
- Area program
- Training plan
- Marketing strategy
- Profit and loss projections
- Trend analysis – identifying tourism sector, target market and spa/wellness trends
- Competitor review – look at both existing and emerging properties
- Location review – review the site’s suitability as a lifestyle wellness retreat
- SWOT analysis – review the strengths and weaknesses of the location as it relates to the concept, target market and competitive set
- Concept summary – outline of overall concept, including product description, market positioning, target market, differentiating features, key benefits, services and facilities
- Menu of service – verifying wellness services, such as spa / salon, fitness, physiotherapy, holistic health, medical and social activities
- Area program – review and comment on the type, number and size of all required front-of-house and back-of-house areas, such as accommodation, wellness facilities, food & beverage outlets, etc
- Staffing plan – recommend the type and number of staff required, prepare estimated budget for pre-opening staffing, provide assumptions for operational staffing budget (years 1-10)
- Training plan – recommend types of training required, propose duration of training required (for each position type) and prepare budget for pre-opening training
- Inventory – preliminary estimate of inventory budget for operating supplies / equipment
- Specialist consultants – list of any additional consultants that may be required, for example kitchen, hydrothermal, etc
- Marketing strategy – high-level strategic comments on positioning, target market, pricing, sales channels for bookings and budget
- Set-up costs estimate – compile all major hard and soft costs required to reach the Soft Opening
- Profit & Loss – for the first 10 years, looking at revenue assumptions, projected occupancy, average spend and expenses, such as cost of goods sold, payroll, operating expenses, management fees, etc
This is where we plan how our efforts on your behalf will generate revenue and make a profit. We explain exactly what products or services the business should plan on selling and marketing, how it should go about it and what expenses will be incurred.
Pre-opening services will vary considerably depending on the size and complexity of the proposed facility and the outcome of the aforementioned Concept Study.
Depending on a client's needs, we can be brought on board at any stage of a project’s development to provide an array of professional and expert advice. Typically our work covers strategy, planning and problem solving, and helps clients develop business skills and knowledge.
- Product development